Search This Blog

Monday, March 27, 2017

Swedish Ancestors

Now that I've finished mostly with my major tree pruning, I want to move onto my next area of focus: my Swedish ancestors.

At RootsTech in February, I attended some sessions on Swedish genealogy and using the ArkivDigital website for searching Swedish records.  And now I am armed with a bit more information, I feel comfortable starting to gather records from Swedish sources.

I've also started using Evernote to try to organize my research, keep research logs, and basically just keep me on track.

So, my first steps are to organize the information I have for my Swedish ancestors into Evernote so I have it all in one place and I can start my lists of research questions.  Once I have that organized and questions ready to go, then I'll sign up on ArkivDigital to start gathering records there.

For some of my family members, I already know where in Sweden they came from, Sätila in Västra Götaland or Vetlanda in Jönköping, Sweden.  Others I am not certain, I just know from census records that they were from Sweden so that is going to take a bit more digging so I can figure out where to look in the Swedish records.

Here are my ancestors who I've identified as coming from Sätila in Västra Götaland (direct line ancestors in red text):

Anders Andersson Grann
Born: 20FEB1832 - Died: 26NOV1906
Born & Died in Sweden - did not immigrate

Married to:
Anna Johansdottir
Born: 09SEP1845 - Died: ?
May have immigrated?

Children of Anders Andersson Grann & Anna Johansdottir:
Alfred Grann
Born: ~1861 - Died: ?
May have immigrated?

Anders Grann
Born: ~1884 - Died: ?
May have immigrated?

Anna Maria Grann
Born: 27MAY1882 - Died: 01APR1966
Born in Sweden - Died in Jamestown, NY

Otto Ludvig Grann
Born: 13DEC1887 - Died: ?

Carl Oscar Grann
Born: 30NOV1875 - Died: 28FEB1953
Born in Sweden - Died in Jamestown, NY

Married to:
Mathilda Charlotte Svenson (Swanson?)
Born: 02AUG1874 - Died: 03JUN1938
Born in Sweden - Died in Jamestown, NY

Children of Carl Oscar Grann & Mathilda Charlotte Svenson:
Ivar (Evar)(Sven) Grann
Born: 03JUL1897 - Died: 28FEB1947
Born in Sweden - Died in Cleveland, OH

Carl Hjalmer Grann
Born: 19MAY1899 - Died: 07JUL1972
Born in Sweden - Died in Jamestown, NY

Axel Elof Grann
Born: 13MAR1901 - Died: 04MAR1972
Born & Died in New York (family immigrated before he was born)


Others I am fairly certain came from Vetlanda in Jönköping, Sweden.  These ancestors are:

Sven Peterson Rask
Born:15SEP1831 - Died: 10OCT1918
Born Vetlanda, Sweden - Died in Warren County, PA

Gustava Carolina Stark
26NOV1827 - 20OCT1905
Born Vetlanda, Sweden - Died in Warren County, PA

Children of Sven Peterson Rask & Gustava Carolina Stark:
Mathilda Christina Rask
Born: 03APR1859 - Died: 15FEB1939
Born Vetlanda, Sweden - Died in Warren County, PA

Carl Augustus Rask
Born: 10DEC1860 - Died: Before 1939
Born Vetlanda, Sweden - Died in Warren County, PA

John Sven Rask
Born: 22OCT1862 - Died: 02OCT1948
Born Vetlanda, Sweden - Died in Los Angeles, CA

Maria Sophia Rask
Born: 22FEB1867 - Died: 13MAR1945

Born Vetlanda, Sweden - Died in Warren County, PA

Anna Lovisa Rask
Born: 19MAR1865 - Died: 28APR1939
Born Vetlanda, Sweden - Died in Warren County, PA

Married to:
Charles L Ecklund
Born: 25SEP1858 - Died: 26JUN1918
Born in Sweden (unknown county) - Died in Warren County, PA

Parents of Charles L. Ecklund:  Nels S. Ecklund & Almask from Sweden (unknown county)



So, I have a couple areas that I know to look at and a few family lines so this should probably keep me busy for a little while.

If any of these folks above are also your ancestors, I would love to hear from you.  I am interested in chatting with cousins who also like genealogy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment